Entrance to Necropolis Station, Waterloo, London, 1890:
Just outside Woking, in Surrey, is Brookwood Cemetery (also known as the London Necropolis)
The cemetery was opened by the London Necropolis Company in 1854 as an out-of-town cemetery; London was struggling to accommodate the dead in its inner city graveyards, and so this vast space (500 acres) was acquired.
The dead of London would reach the cemetery via a special train station, the London Necropolis Railway Station, which was next to Waterloo.
The photograph above shown the entrance to the Necropolis Station, with its beautifully ornate gates, waiting to welcome the dead on their last journey.